Wednesday, July 22, 2009

CNN Black In America 2


Tonight , the first part of the critically acclaimed Black In America 2 aired . Black families around America gathered around the tube to see if this years follow up, would top last years premiere. In my personal opinion , the show was tastefully done. I think it did an excellent job of capturing the struggles of black people in today's society . Soledad O'Brien , a woman of African decent was able to capture the different testimonials of the young and old . Although there lies a huge age gap between the two...they are not so different. The segment of the BIA2 that touched me the most was when Malaak Rock , wife of comedian Chris Rock , used her celebrity to change the lives of young teens . She chose 30 teens in an urban New York City community , to go to South Africa to see how other children their age are living. Rock exposed these children,who in some cases had never been outside of their neighborhood block, how big the world is and the endless opportunities. She showed these students that knowledge is power and is the key to success. I was able to relate to this particular story , because when I was 17 I had the honor of traveling to South Africa for 3 weeks . I visited Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban. Teens my age could not read . Some families were torn apart from violence and the AIDS epidemic. I visited schools that had no money for books or food for their students. I met young girls who looked just like me , who wanted just a taste of freedom and opportunity that I took for granted everyday. After leaving South Africa, I brought so much knowledge and understanding of myself and those who came before me. I learned the importance of giving back and seizing every opportunity given to me.




Like the children in Rock's group, I left with the notion that I could all things ,If only I put my mind to it . This is the very reason why I loved the first installment of BIA2. The series draws in its viewers and allows them to reflect on their personal experiences. BIA2 ,like its predecessor BIA has faced many tough critics within the Black Community. Many think that it highlights the negative aspects of the black culture and others believe it realistically portrays the daily struggles of blacks. The main goal of the program is to teach those who are misinformed. To allow others to step into the shoes of the adversities that blacks face on a daily basis. The beauty of the Black culture is that no one black person is the same. Each one shares a different story . A different beginning. A different end. But they share the same ancestral background . I look forward to the second part tomorrow, and what new ideas will be ignited within me.

1 comment:

Georgia D said...

I haven't seen it yet but I'm looking forward to it!