With all that going on I barely had time to bask in the day of my birth, let alone that I was a year older. Yesterday, two weeks after my birthday, it hit me that I was 26. I had to say it out loud to remind myself.
Oh ---25 taught me so much. I mean--I am a completely different person . And I kind of like her. She's much more hip.
When I was younger I always imagined that I would be married with my first child by 25. I thought I would be in a flourishing media career, traveling the world, writing big checks and taking Oprah's place. Now some parts of this premonition came true and other parts didn't-- at least not yet. My younger self would be so disappointed. There is not a handbook on what to expect for this pivotal age. No two journey's are the same. However, I can offer this bit of advice--the best way to learn about life is to live it. Here are a few things I learned through my quarter-century living.
- It’s ok---- to not be ok. Sit in your feelings. Then get up and go.
- Change---embrace it.
- Things will go wrong.
- When people hurt your feelings, you don’t have to hurt theirs back. Pick and choose when to be petty.
- Embrace now. Live in the moment.
- Don’t fret or panic over things you can’t control.
- Listen more than you talk.
- Nurture your relationships.
- You won’t be the first or last person to experience disappointment.
- Be an original. No one likes a carbon copy.
- Don’t give up on people too easily.
- Live in your truth.
- Be nice. Even when you don’t have to be.
- You reap what you sow.
- Trust your gut.
- Don’t be concerned about what other people think about you.
- Communication is key.
- Words. Use them wisely. Speak things into existence.
- There is beauty in starting over.
- Being vulnerable is apart of growing up.
- Keep some things to yourself. Don’t give too much of yourself away.
- God gave you a vision and dream for a reason. Let Him work. Trust His plan.
- Don’t get lost in your expectations.
- Love will come. Don't be too hurt to answer when it knocks.
- Let “It” go. Whatever "It" is.
Oh and one for the road. Love yourself. People like you for a reason. That means you probably should too.
Twenty-five was a roller coaster. I wish I had a t-shirt that said, " I survived 25."