Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I Survived Twenty-Five

The day started off so promising on my 26th birthday. I woke up. Put on a new outfit. Posted some pics to Instagram. Returned phone calls and messages. Went to work. Left work early. Treated myself to some Thai food. Had a one hour Swedish massage. Drove home. Took a nap. Got up from my slumber excited to get ready for dinner. My phone rang. I picked it up. I threw it down. Cried. My grandma died. Tragic. What a way to spend your first day of 26--right ?

With all that going on I barely had time to bask in the day of my birth, let alone that I was a year older. Yesterday, two weeks after my birthday, it hit me that I was 26. I had to say it out loud to remind myself.

Oh ---25 taught me so much. I mean--I am a completely different person . And I kind of like her. She's much more hip.

When I was younger I always imagined that I would be married with my first child by 25. I thought I would be in a flourishing media career, traveling the world, writing big checks and taking Oprah's place. Now some parts of this premonition came true and other parts didn't-- at least not yet. My younger self would be so disappointed. There is not a handbook on what to expect for this pivotal age. No two journey's are the same. However, I can offer this bit of advice--the best way to learn about life is to live it. Here are a few things I learned through my quarter-century living.


  1. It’s ok---- to not be ok. Sit in your feelings. Then get up and go.
  2. Change---embrace it.
  3. Things will go wrong.
  4. When people hurt your feelings, you don’t have to hurt theirs back. Pick and choose when to be petty.
  5. Embrace now. Live in the moment.
  6. Don’t fret or panic over things you can’t control.
  7. Listen more than you talk.
  8. Nurture your relationships.
  9. You won’t be the first or last person to experience disappointment.
  10. Be an original. No one likes a carbon copy. 
  11. Don’t give up on people too easily.
  12. Live in your truth.
  13. Be nice. Even when you don’t have to be.
  14. You reap what you sow.
  15. Trust your gut.
  16. Don’t be concerned about what other people think about you.
  17. Communication is key.
  18. Words. Use them wisely. Speak things into existence.
  19. There is beauty in starting over.
  20. Being vulnerable is apart of growing up.
  21. Keep some things to yourself. Don’t give too much of yourself away.
  22. God gave you a vision and dream for a reason. Let Him work. Trust His plan.
  23. Don’t get lost in your expectations.
  24. Love will come. Don't be too hurt to answer when it knocks.
  25. Let “It” go. Whatever "It" is.
Oh and one for the road. Love yourself. People like you for a reason. That means you probably should too. 

Twenty-five was a roller coaster. I wish I had a t-shirt that said, " I survived 25."


No comments: